All applications must be filled out and submitted online, if there is difficulty accessing the internet please contact the camp.
- High School (S.I.T.) applicants, 15 yrs. or older, must have application and references submitted by May 1st, if not submitted by above date application may not be considered.
- High School applicants must also register for Staff In Training week
- Adult applicants must have application and references submitted no later than one month prior to the week you desire to serve.
- All applicants must provide 3 references, 1 which must be from an adult family member
- A criminal background check will be conducted annually on every applicant 18 and over. We would like to suggest adult staff donate $10 to help assist with this cost.
- All applicants will have a face to face interview with a HHCC approved individual.
- High School (S.I.T.) applicants will be interviewed during their training week.
- Child Abuse video/dvd will be viewed by all applicants every year prior to serving at HHCC.
- Applicants will sign and agree with all child abuse policies of HHCC
- Applicants will sign and agree with all guidelines of conduct of HHCC
If you are interested in serving at Horton Haven this summer, please click here to access our online staff application process.
The Mission of Horton Haven Christian Camp is, "To create a camp environment where people can come to know and follow Jesus Christ." We are looking for quality individuals that display the following characteristics to serve at camp:
- Has a sincere love for the Lord and shows a consistent walk with God.
- Has a desire to see campers come to know Christ as their Savior and grow in Him.
- Is willing to forego personal rights for the common good of the camp and the campers.
- Is flexible and able to work with campers and other staff members.
Spiritual growth should be a continuous process in every Christian’s life. Growth and a consistently good example seen in a staff member’s life will encourage growth in others, especially younger campers. It is our responsibility at Horton Haven to live a life that would reflect Jesus Christ in all that we do. If you are interested in serving at Horton Haven please click one of the links above to find out more.
In the summer of 1988 the Core Staff program was instituted at Horton Haven Christian Camp. As the word "CORE" conveys, this program's goal is to provide a mature, stable, foundational group of staffers for the entire summer camp program. The Core Staff is made up of young men and women who are at least entering their first year of college and who evidence a sincere and mature spiritual walk with Christ. These men and women will send in a Core Staff application which will be reviewed by at least a three member committee. Ideally, interviews will also be conducted whenever possible. Members of Core Staff will then be selected based upon their application, interview, and references. The Core Staff position is a scholarship position which is intended to be used for college education and expenses. In the event that funds are not needed for college education, in light of scholarships, etc., the scholarship will be directly given to the individual with taxes being withheld.
Core Staff members will be asked to serve for either six consecutive weeks or eleven weeks. If serving for eleven weeks they will be given one week to be used at their discretion. Core Staff members will be given scholarship money based upon the number of weeks worked and the meeting of their obligation. Scholarship money may be forfeited if obligations are not fulfilled. Core Staff members will go through "Core Week" to begin their summer ministry. The week will entail special spiritual instruction, specially designed to train and teach individuals in areas pertaining to camp. Examples are: Leading a Child to Christ, Developing Devotions, and Discipline. This week will also be designated as a time to prepare the campgrounds for a summer of campers. General instruction will also be given to train Core Staff members on how to teach the various activities they will be involved with this summer. Finally, this week will also have a time when Core Staff will become familiarized with the camp program and policies. Also a time where the Core Staff can get to know each other and have some fun.
High School Staff
As high school staff, you have an awesome opportunity to serve the Lord during your summer break. At Horton Haven you will have a chance to grow and be encouraged, as well as to encourage others. The following is a list of some of the possible areas for service this summer:
- Jr. Cabin Leader
- Kitchen Staff
- Explorer Camp Leader
- Pioneer Camp Leader
- Maintenance Staff
Attendance at S.I.T. week at Horton Haven is required of all teenage summer staff (15 years +), and recommended for all other staff as well. During the week, campers build an understanding of staff responsibilities and procedures as topics are covered in seminar and practical sessions. These topics include:
- Characteristics of Children
- How to Lead a Child To Christ
- How to Prepare Devotions
- Counseling Tips
- Health & Safety Issues
At least two hours per day are spent doing actual work on the camp. There are activity training classes each day to prepare for teaching canoeing, archery, air rifles, campcraft, etc.. Group activities designed to build trust and group dynamics are a major part of the program. Daily personal devotions, as well as, discipleship times with CORE staff members are cultivated. Morning and evening Bible studies and singing times are provided. Also, policies of the camp are presented. Upon completion, S.I.T. campers are expected to make commitments of specific weeks to work at camp, with a minimum of two weeks of service. S.I.T. staff are not allowed to be at camp for more than three weeks in a row. Attending SIT does not guarantee that they will work at camp. Attitude is a vital part of the selection process.
You must also register for SIT on the register page. The fee for SIT is $125.
We are looking forward to another great summer and we would love for you to be a part of it. Step out of the busy world and bring the family to serve at Horton Haven for a week. Serving the Lord at camp is a fun and uplifting experience. If you are married and have children, bring the kids and we will provide staff to watch your kids while you help in any number of different areas at the camp. Here is a list of areas where you could serve this summer:
- Cabin Leader
- Jr. Cabin Leader
- Pioneer Camp Leader
- Prayer Warrior
- Assistant Cook
- Kitchen Aid
- Maintenance Staff
- Health Care Assistant